Monday, March 24, 2014

How I Survived Spring Break

Not everyone has a spring break like you see on TV. I didn't go to Miami or have an incredibly active social life. I didn't go to the beach or have any type of vacation at all. But that didn't mean I hated it.
I think I was mentally scarred from winter break. That was a month and a half of utter torture. I did enjoy being home for a few weeks, but after a while I started to really miss living back at school. Because that set me off so much, I didn't think I would enjoy being home for a little over a week in spring. And yet, I survived.
I got to see a lot of my friends over the course of the week and that was really cool - just to be reminded that I have such good friends at home when it feels like I don't have any at school.
I visited my high school with some friends and got to see some of the teachers that really impacted my last 4 years. That was pretty nice.. And no, my old locker combination didn't work on my old locker. Darn. It was also really cool to hear about my high school friends' college journeys and how we're all getting through this together.
During most of the week, both of my parents worked and both of my younger siblings were at school. The house got pretty lonely. But at least I had Keeping up with the Kardashians to keep me company for a little bit. I can't say I didn't like the silence though. It was nice to literally do nothing after being so, so busy with school. I found it quite easy to occupy my time with things to do that kept me content and happy.
I discovered cross-stitching and thought it was pretty rad so I decided to try it for myself. After stitching a few pictures inspired by Miley Cyrus' Bangerz Tour, I liked it so much, I wanted to put it on a purse. I cut up an old denim bag from middle school, rekindled with my old sewing skills, and pulled together a quick little sling bag. I'm pretty proud of the way it turned out.

(Pictured - front & back)

This past weekend was definitely the best part of break, though. My favorite band (Paradise Fears) was playing at TCNJ--just a few minutes down the road from my college. Of course, I was on break so I had to make the hour drive up to the show but I still think it was worth it. I got to spend the night with a few of my really good friends. Hardly anyone had ever heard of PF at the show and there were around 30 people actually there. I sat with 3 of my friends at a table in front of the stage and sang along to every song. It was really a cool experience.

The next day, I saw PF again, but this time on the last show of their tour (Battle Scars Acoustic & in the Round). Since the stage they played on was circular and in the middle of the crowd, I had Sam's (the singer) butt in my face the whole time. It was kind of hard to get into the music since I almost punched him like 17 times in one song. They played a brand new song that they hadn't played at any other show and they also passed out 200 cupcakes as a way to make the concert experience really special. As always, the show was phenomenal. 
Talking to the band after the show is always a pleasure. They're 6 of the nicest people I've ever met in my life. Michael (keyboard) remembered me by my Twitter handle and we had a lovely conversation about sunshine and blaming things on me. Jordan (guitar) recalled seeing us the night before and called me Emily because he read it on my necklace, not because he remembered. Sam was mobbed by people as always but he's still one of my favorite people to talk to. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to talk to Marcus (bass) and had to rush with Lucas (drums) and Cole (guitar) but I still got a bunch of great pictures.

That show definitely ended my spring break on a positive note.

Yesterday (Sunday), was my sister's 16th birthday so we celebrated with Red Lobster. Then I was shipped back off to Rider to commence with classes again, today.

I definitely wouldn't have complained if I had had another week of break back at home to do absolutely nothing (especially to recover from a great weekend). But, of course not. It was still a great break and I'm glad it happened when it did. : )

To close, here are most of (actually, practically all of) my pictures from Saturday.








No comments:

Post a Comment