Monday, March 31, 2014

The Struggle to Laundry

The thought of doing my own laundry, a couple of months ago, sounded unbearable. I never had to do that. Coming to college, one of the first things I did was scope out the laundry room. Now--I live on the 3rd floor, the top floor. Laundry is in the basement. Not that bad, 4 flights, right? Yeah, no, wrong. Just awful.
I had gotten a mesh-like laundry basket last summer to hold my laundry for the following semester but that quickly turned into a very bad idea. Over time, I saw myself getting lazier and lazier, waiting longer and longer to put loads of laundry in, therefore filling the basket to the top. (It held a lot of clothes). By spring break, the mesh had so many tears and holes in it, I'm surprised it didn't break before my very eyes... I got a new one.
Unfortunately, this one doesn't hold has much as the last. I've only been back to school for about a week and it is already filled to the very top.

That wasn't the only problem with laundry that I had today.

In the basement, there are five washing machines and five dryers. Now, keep in mind, there are three floors in this building, and three different wings. Somehow, five doesn't seem like a reasonable number. Especially when some of them decide to just not work anymore.
Luckily, when I went down today, there was a washer open. I put in my dark clothes, put my bag on top of the machine and left. When I came back down and hour later (the time it usually takes to complete the load), half of the clothes were still dry, the other half was soaking wet, and my tide pod hadn't even disintegrated. I really don't got time for that nonsense. So I ended up sitting there for like 20 minutes after putting in my second load, waiting for the first to be done.
It never finished. So I went to Bible study and prayed it would be be done by the time I came back.
......Nope.
A few girls in the laundry room told me that it was broken and I should just give up. Of course it's broken.

Long sob story short, it took me so much longer than I anticipated just to wash a week's worth of clothing. And the last load I put into the dryer ended up not even drying.
So, currently, I have become very innovative in where and how to hang wet clothes around my room (under my bed, closet, etc). I'm just really glad that process is over (for now).

I love that washing clothes isn't as hard as I was expecting. I don't love the inconvenience of the laundry room. You just can't win in this situation..

Anyway, here's a visual aid for ya. (And the only pictures I have of the laundry room.. feat. some friends)


No comments:

Post a Comment